March 13 — May 6, 2017
The Member Show is our annual exhibition showcasing the work of our talented community. Open call to our current members.
Members are invited to submit artwork inspired by nature that explores our connection to nature using one or more of our senses of sight, smell, taste, touch, and sound. Pieces from nature as well as man-made artifacts inspired by nature can be part of the composition.
Deadline for submission is February 19, 2017. Submit your work online!
THE NATURAL MUSE
THEME: The West Windsor Arts Center invites all members to submit artwork that is inspired by nature. This work will explore our connection to nature using one or more of our senses of sight, smell, taste, touch, and sound. Pieces from nature as well as man-made artifacts inspired by nature can be part of the composition.
JUROR: The exhibit will be reviewed by Joy Kreves. Joy received her BFA and MS from Illinois State University and currently works as a mixed media artist exploring the connections between language, psychology and landscape. She exhibits her artwork extensively throughout NJ, NY, PA and Illinois and has taught mixed media art classes to children and adults, most recently, “Flying Dreams! Think Like a Bird” at the Bucks County Audubon Society in New Hope, PA. Kreves is a member of several artist groups including Animal Architects, which will have an exhibition this spring at the Monmouth Museum, NJ.
ELIGIBILITY: Open to all current WWAC members. Artists may join as a WWAC member (basic membership fees are $25 senior, $40 individual, $75 household).
New! In order to celebrate and encourage our member artists, WWAC will be awarding cash prizes to 3 works of art selected by the juror that exemplify standards of excellence including:
- Competent use of media and artistic technical skill
- Artistic sensitivity and emotional impact
- Creative and innovative work to educate the public
- Wall appeal to attract the public
- Relevance to show theme
- Best in Show: $100
- 2nd Prize: $50
- 3rd Prize: One Free Year of WWAC Individual Membership ($40 value)
Submission deadline: February 19, 2017, 12am
Submission to be done through Submittable.
Please have the following information ready when submitting:
- Title of artwork(s)
- Sale price
- Insurance value
- Images of the art ready to be uploaded
- Short artist statement
- Short artist bio
- A maximum of three pieces can be submitted per artist
- All art must be original and new to WWAC.
- Size of artwork: We recommend a maximum size of 30 x 30″ but the juror will judge larger works on a case-by-case basis.
- All work that can be hung on the wall including drawing, painting, mixed media, photography, printmaking, or fiber will be considered.
- Artwork must be in original form for the medium being submitted. Giclée or other reproductions of original work will not be accepted, unless original is a photograph/print. Example: giclée of watercolor will not be accepted.
- All works entered MUST include finished edges or be framed. All work must be properly wired across the back with picture hanging wire. Wire must be approximately 1/3 from top of frame. Saw-tooth hooks, ribbon, etc. will NOT be accepted. WWAC reserves the right to reject any work that is not ready to hang.
- All pieces must be labeled on the back with the artist’s name and the title of the artwork.
Exhibit Dates: March 13 – May 6
Submission deadline: February 19, 12am
Art drop-off: March 12, 10am – 12pm
Artist Reception: March 19, 4 – 6pm
Art pick up: May 7, 10am – 12pm
ACCEPTED ARTWORK: Submission of artwork and written application for jury review constitutes an agreement between the artist and West Windsor Arts Council (WWAC) to the conditions set forth:
- Insurance coverage for accepted artwork begins upon completion of drop-off procedure on the designated date and time at the West Windsor Arts Center and for the duration of the show.
- The juror reserves the right to reject any work submitted at her discretion. The exhibit will be hung in the gallery and foyer in a way that best showcases all the artists and art to be exhibited. Note: depending on size and space restrictions, not all work selected may be hung. Artists will be notified immediately following final installation of the exhibit if a selected work is not included or if any work submitted is not properly framed for hanging.
- Work not matching the digital images submitted will not be accepted.
- All artwork must remain in the show for the duration of the show.
- If the artist is not able to pick up the artwork at the designated time, please contact the WWAC main office to make other arrangements.
SALE OF ARTWORK
- WWAC will be responsible for processing and collecting the sale proceeds of art.
- WWAC will retain 30% of the retail price of Wall Art as commission and pay the balance of 70% of sale.
- Payment for Wall Art will be made by check within 21 business days of close of the exhibit.
- The West Windsor Arts Council retains the right to use artist’s name and digital images of accepted artwork.