Call to Artists for Jump into Pictures: Children’s Book Illustrations
Open call to artists for our Summer art exhibition, Jump into Pictures: Children’s Book Illustrations. Even before children learn to speak, they are enthralled by the world around them… lights, colors and sounds in graphical motion. Children’s books play an important supporting role in shaping a child into the adult they will become. As parents patiently teach language to their kids, they reach for the illustrations in baby books to connect a word to a picture. With their curiosity piqued, children devour picture books and simple stories, while connecting to their daily routines. As they grow, so do the illustrations, from showing the obvious to showcasing new ideas. These images also do the work of opening a Pandora’s box of imagination and concepts for them.
WWA announces this call to artists to submit their illustrations intended for children for the summer art show “Jump into Pictures: Children’s Book Illustrations.”
Intentions for this call to artists:
- Seeking illustrations geared towards an audience of children (under 14). Art created for posters, books, video games, or other material intended for children can be submitted. Fiction or nonfiction is fine.
- Art can be a stand alone work or part of a bigger story (example: one illustration by itself or one illustration that is part of a book or other collection).
- Art does not have to be published.
- Art depicting a letter in the alphabet or a number is okay.
- Art can be an illustration intended for youth, or an interpretation of a timeless children’s story, passage from a classic children’s book or children’s poem. Art must be original by the artists, not a copy of a character or scene created by another artist.
Deadline to submit work: Tuesday June 6
Notification of Selections: week of June 12
Drop off/send work: July 10 to 15
Exhibition dates: July 18 to Aug 26, 2023
Reception: Friday, July 21 from 7 to 8:30pm
Jurors: Rashad Malik Davis and Kelly Lan
Rashad Malik Davis – RaMalik Illustrations, illustrator, author, and character designer: Rashad is an award-winning author/illustrator and entrepreneur currently pursuing his dream! He loves to explore themes of magic, the mystic, empathy, emotional literacy, and DEI (diversity, equity, and inclusion) in his work most often – but in a fun and humorous way! Check out his website: RaMalik Illustrations
Kelly Lan, art director, graphic designer, and entrepreneur: Kelly is a Taiwanese American experience designer and founder of Hello Prosper, an arts education brand empowering the youth through storytelling. Her work amplifies the rich experiences and intersections of Asian and Western culture. She loves diving into topics about identity and belonging, especially through the historical and cultural lens.
- Open to artists over 18 years of age.
- Art must be in original form for the medium being submitted. Giclée or other reproductions of original work will not be accepted, unless the original is a photograph/print. Example: giclée of watercolor will not be accepted.
- Art to be considered include paintings, drawings, sculpture, digital media, mixed media, photography or print making. Also works with pop-ups and lift flaps are acceptable. West Windsor Arts will work with the accepted artists to accommodate the mediums submitted.
- Art must be new to WWA and not have been displayed in previous shows.
Details and Art Specifications
- Submission Fees: $20 for WWA members, $25 for all other
- A maximum of 3 works may be submitted.
- Art will be displayed at West Windsor Arts in the gallery, foyer, and online.
- There is no size limitation for art, however, size will be taken into consideration by the juror.
- All artworks entered MUST include finished edges or be framed. Alternative presentations that are part of the artwork will be accepted however we must be able to hang or display the art. Typically all work must be wired across the back with picture hanging wire. Wire must be approximately 1/3 from top of frame. Saw-tooth hooks, ribbon, etc. will NOT be accepted. All pieces should be labeled with the artist’s name and the title of the artwork.
- For videos and other digital media, we will need a version that can be downloaded.
Entry of artwork and application for jury review constitutes an agreement between the artist and West Windsor Arts Council to the conditions set forth:
- Insurance coverage for accepted artwork begins upon completion of drop-off procedure on the designated date and time at West Windsor Arts and for the duration of the show.
- The juror and West Windsor Arts reserves the right to reject any work submitted at their discretion. The exhibit will be hung in the gallery and foyer at West Windsor Arts in a way that best showcases all the artists and art to be exhibited. Note: depending on size and space restrictions, not all work selected may be hung. Artists will be notified immediately following final installation of the exhibit if a selected work is not included or if any work submitted is not properly framed for hanging.
- Work not matching the digital images submitted will not be accepted.
- All artwork must remain in the show for the duration of the show.
- There will be set dates and times for drop off and pick up of accepted artwork. If you are shipping your art, prior arrangements must be made. Artwork must be sent with prepaid return postage and insurance coverage.
Sale of Art
- West Windsor Arts will be responsible for processing and collecting the sale proceeds of art.
- West Windsor Arts will retain 30% of the retail price as commission and pay the balance of 70% of sale. Artist Level Members receive a preferred split on gallery sales (75/25).
- Payment for sold work will be made by check within 21 business days of close of the exhibit.
Note: West Windsor Arts retains the right to use the artist’s name and digital images of accepted artwork.
Art Submission Form*: 2023 Jump into Pictures: Children’s Book Illustrations
Payment Form: Entry Fee for Jump into Pictures: Children’s Book Illustrations
*It may be helpful to have the following information ready before you begin the form:
— Artist info: name as it will appear on wall labels, contact information, website (if applicable),
For each illustration:
—Title, medium, dimensions, sale price or not for sale, insurance value (usually the same as the sale price)
—Artist statement about each illustration. (This might include why you created this piece of art, your inspiration, materials used and/or your process, anything you would like to share about this work.)
—Describe the action, intent or narrative of the illustration.
—Is it part of a book? Has it been published? This is not required but we would like to know.
—Upload image (An image of each piece of artwork will need to be uploaded. Make sure it is in focus and square to the frame. Please rename the image file you are uploading to the following format: last name_first name_title of art.jpg. Do not send us an image file name that is just a string of numbers. If you need help to rename your image files, please call us.)
—WWA will work with the accepted artists to accommodate the mediums submitted. Artwork must be in its original form for the medium being submitted.