Generation Next: Graphica
EXHIBITION DATES: June 26 – September 8, 2017
ARTIST RECEPTION: Sunday, July 9, 4 – 6 pm
Submission deadline: Now Extended to Friday May 26 at midnight!
Do you create art that is narrative or illustration based? Does your art have something to say about the current state of the world? What about comics or fantasy art? If so, we want to see your work! We have extended the deadline for art submissions to the “Generation Next: Graphica” exhibition till this Friday May 26. Now is your chance!
This year our Generation Next exhibition will focus on the explosion seen in the use of comic, graphic and illustrative art. With the growing video game market, popularity of graphic novels, and the resurgence in comic books, narrative art is at an all-time high. Generation Next explores how these artists, young and upcoming as well as established, make their mark in the art world through superheroes or personal narratives. The West Windsor Arts Center invites you to submit artwork that contains or is a play on graphic novels, comic books, and video games to the exhibition Graphica.
JUROR: The exhibit will be juried by artist and educator Darren McManus. Darren is currently an Assistant Professor in the Visual & Performing Arts Department and the art gallery coordinator at Raritan Valley Community College. He received his B.F.A from The Hartford Art School and studied at the Glasgow School of Art in Glasgow, Scotland. McManus earned his M.F.A. in painting from Cranbrook Academy of Art. He has received numerous grants and awards including the highest Individual Artist Fellowship Grant from the New Jersey State Council on the Arts. His paintings have been widely exhibited in galleries and museums across the United States.
This exhibition is by invitation and open call to artists age 16 and older. RVCC students will be invited by juror, Darren McManus through a separate invitation. The open call, open to everyone, requires a $25 submission fee. Submissions will be done through Submittable.
Please have the following information ready when submitting:
- Title of artwork(s)
- Sale price
- Insurance value
- Images of the art ready to be uploaded
- Short artist statement
- A maximum of three pieces can be submitted per artist
- All art must be original and new to WWAC.
- Size of artwork: We recommend a maximum size of 24 x 24″ but the juror will judge larger works on a case-by-case basis.
- All work that can be hung on the wall including drawing, painting, mixed media, photography, printmaking, or fiber will be considered.
- Artwork must be in original form for the medium being submitted. Giclée or other reproductions of original work will not be accepted, unless original is a photograph/print. Example: giclée of watercolor will not be accepted.
- For this exhibition, works need to have finished edges but do not need to be framed. Work will be hung using binder clips. WWAC reserves the right to reject any work that is not ready to hang.
All pieces must be labeled on the back with the artist’s name and the title of the artwork.
Exhibit Dates: June 26th-September 8th, 2017
Submission deadline: Now extended to Friday May 26 at midnight
Art drop-off: Sunday, June 25th, 10am-12pm
Artist Reception: Sunday, July 9th 4pm-6pm
Art pick up: Saturday, September 9th, 10am-12pm
ACCEPTED ARTWORK: Submission of artwork and written application for jury review constitutes an agreement between the artist and West Windsor Arts Council (WWAC) to the conditions set forth:
- Insurance coverage for accepted artwork begins upon completion of drop-off procedure on the designated date and time at the West Windsor Arts Center and for the duration of the show.
- The juror reserves the right to reject any work submitted at his discretion. The exhibit will be hung in the gallery and foyer in a way that best showcases all the artists and art to be exhibited. Note: depending on size and space restrictions, not all work selected may be hung. Artists will be notified immediately following final installation of the exhibit if a selected work is not included.
- Work not matching the digital images submitted will not be accepted.
- All artwork must remain in the show for the duration of the show.
- If the artist is not able to drop off the artwork at the designated time, please contact the WWAC main office to set a date prior to June 25th.
- If the artist is not able to pick up the artwork at the designated time, please contact the WWAC main office to make other arrangements.
SALE OF ARTWORK
- WWAC will be responsible for processing and collecting the sale proceeds of art.
- WWAC will retain 30% of the retail price of Wall Art as commission and pay the balance of 70% of sale.
- Payment for Wall Art will be made by check within 21 business days of close of the exhibit.