Call to Artisans for Off the Wall Holiday Market
a Juried Makers Market for Handmade Items by Artisans and Crafters
Call to Artisans for Off the Wall Holiday Market, a Juried Makers Market for Handmade Items by Artisans and Crafters. West Windsor Arts is seeking handmade whimsical or functional objects created by Makers for our Off the Wall Holiday Market. Work must be original and handcrafted by the artist. This is a form dedicated to artisans looking to sell handcrafted pieces. A separate form for artists looking to submit wall-hanging visual artwork will be released shortly.
The Holiday Market will take place in our gallery with holiday tents and lots of cheer to welcome customers. The focus is on you, the Maker: your story, what makes your process unique, and the history of your craft. Promotion of the event will include emails to our list of over 6000 subscribers and local residents who support the arts, social media posts, printed mailer, individual promotion of each artisan with a link to their items in our store, and more.
There will be 5 weeks of shopping, in our market and online store. The schedule is:
- In-person weekends: Nov 18 & 19, Dec 2 & 3, 9 & 10, 16 & 17. Time each day will be from 12:30pm to 5:30pm
- 24/7 in our online store
- Private Members Only Shopping Spree: Nov 18 from 12:30 to 5:30pm
- Private appointments upon request
To enter your work, Makers should send an email to email@example.com. Tell us something about your work, and about yourself, give us your price range and attach a few pictures. Let us know what is unique about you and what you are creating, why would people want to buy the items you make? If accepted, we will then set up a consultation with you to determine the best fit for your items. We know our audience well, and want to work with you to maximize your sales potential. That is it! That is all you have to do to get things started! But please continue to read this entire page so you understand what is involved in being part of our Artisan Market.
Timeline for Holiday Market
Rolling deadline until space is full. We are still seeking artisans, so get you entry in today. We will be accepting submissions as they come in. Once you are accepted, we will set up a meeting with you to select inventory for our Market. Plan your fall season now. By working with us, we will determine the inventory we need, giving you time to make and deliver your work.
Delivery date for accepted items: during the month of October
- Artisans will be juried for participation by the Exhibition Committee. Categories include: apothecary, basketry, ceramics/pottery, fiber/textile, glass items, jewelry, leather goods, metal arts, non-perishable food products, paper crafts and journals, woodworking, and more.
- Items must be handcrafted by the artisan. Artisan Vendors must inform us if their items are sourced out to be made by a third party, or if Artisan Vendor is selling items made by another person.
- The number of items accepted from each Artisan will depend on many factors including type of product, materials used and price point. The information you provide will be used on our website and in marketing and promotion.
- Accepted pieces are to be delivered to the arts center. Each item must be individually marked with a label attached: name of business, first and last name of artist, title/name of piece, and item number (as defined by WWA- see below). Labels on the items must match the information you provided to us.
- If all items are sold, we may request additional items.
- Artisans must work 2 Market shifts, 5.5 hours each. Choose from the dates listed: Nov 18 & 19, Dec 2 & 3, 9 & 10, 16 & 17. Time each day will be from 12:30pm to 5:30pm.The Holiday Market will be set up much like a store and the participation by the Artisans will help with its overall success. Dates will be assigned on a first come first serve basis. Training will be provided.
- There is no up front fee to enter your items or for the initial consultation.
- Selling price of the item will be split 50/50 with the Artisan and WWA
- Artisans must work 2 Market shifts, 5.5 hours each. Choose from the dates listed: Nov 18 & 19, Dec 2 & 3, 9 & 10, 16 & 17. Time each day will be from 12:30pm to 5:30pm.
- Artisans working 3 or more shifts will be offered a 60/40 split. Note that availability of a third shift is limited.
What does well in our Market:
- Whimsical items
- Household decorative or functional items
- Women’s accessories
- Pottery and ceramics
Once your work is accepted, we will create a shared google sheet which you will use to enter the information about each item you are giving to us. You will need the following:
- Artist info: name as it will appear on wall labels, contact information (email, phone and address), website (if applicable),
- Artist statement – Tell us something about who you are as an Artisan: what makes your process unique, the history of your craft, your sustainable practices, and any other aspect of your business that helps us and customers understand who you are.
- Title, description, materials used, dimensions, sale price,
- Title: Each item must have its own unique title, even if it is jewelry.
- Item number: Each item must have its own item number. Your item numbers are the first 3 letters of your last name and then numbered, starting with 1. So, for an artisan with the last name Green, the label for the first item would include GRE1, then GRE2.
- Description: This is important. This is what customers will read when they are shopping for your product. Make it appealing.
- Materials used: List what you used to create this product. People have many allergies so we need to provide this information.
If you have any questions, please reach out to Kimberly at Kimberly@westwindsorarts.org